Thursday, October 4, 2007

Green bounty

Today I got to share the joy of local eating: I brought our grain mill to school and the kids ground corn and wheat, shook cream into butter, and baked cornbread in the toaster oven. They all ate it and liked it too.

When I got home I canned tomatillo sauce--like tomato sauce, only green. Though our tomatoes did poorly this year, we've had a huge abundance of tomatillos. We've had green spaghetti, salsa verde, green pizza. . . and after much fruitless searching on the internet and finally one quick phone call to the county cooperative extension, a recipe for canned tomatillo sauce.

Since Ben had class this evening I didn't bother to cook supper, just had some garlic bread and some of the sauce as it was cooking down. Mmmm, local garlic!

No comments: