Thursday, October 11, 2007

The good, the bad, the best

As I drink my local cider and Ben eats his local popcorn this evening, I've thought about what I've missed and what I haven't thus far into the month. As we've said before, this has been much easier than the week in April when it felt like we were surviving on onions, flat bread, and eggs.

What I've missed: Spices have been a big one. I want cinnamon in my cider, black pepper on my potato soup, cumin for my chicken. Of course, we do have many herbs available: cilantro, corriander, basil, oregano, parsley, mint. . . I have fantasies of finding wild ginger in our woods, but since I have no idea what it looks like that doesn't seem very likely.

I've also wished for rice, olive oil, and cow cheese (as opposed to goat cheese). The first two are out of the question, but I still hold out hope of finding at least local mozzerella.

What I haven't missed: Sugar. Okay, not much. I would like to pick up some maple syrup as a change from honey. Lemons, lentils, baking powder--all things I normally use weekly--I haven't given that much thought. Sorrel, lima beans, and . . . well, flatter pancakes have taken their place.

Favorites to rejoice in: Cherry tomatoes straight from the vine, my favorite right-after-work snack. Peanuts! Local peanuts! Pricey, but a very nice addition to lunches. And sweet potatoes in the raised beds, waiting for me to dig my fingers in and pull them out. The one I ate today was about the sweetest I'd ever tasted--perfect just as it was with nothing on it.

No comments: