Saturday, October 6, 2007

Ten apples up on top

We declared an exception to our month of eating local foods for the MCC Relief Sale this morning. Since the funds from the sale go to feed hungry people around the world, among other things, I felt that a higher cause was being served by attending than by skipping it this year. I suppose I could have just donated money instead of buying a donut and plate of Laotion food, but I'm not that high-minded. We did come away with five gallons of local cider, which I managed to wedge into our freezer between the sweet corn and swiss chard.

This afternoon we began making applesauce with our many apples from our tree. This apparently will be a time-consuming project--we have seven pints finishing in the canner right now, plus five we did before taking a supper break. It barely made a dent in the containers in the picture here.

For supper Ben made delicious mashed potatoes from our crop dug earlier this year, to which I added dill, chives, and yogurt, and he added applesauce(!) We also tried some of the edamame--green soybeans--which we bought last week at the farmers' market. They taste similar to lima beans and were quite good.

I couldn't bear to throw away the apple skins left from the sauce, so we may be trying apple skin pie or some other similar concoction in the coming week.

No comments: