Thursday, April 26, 2007

Quiche and chapatis

As I write today's post on our local eating, I am enjoying a strawberry milkshake: frozen strawberries from last year's garden, local milk and honey, blended in the blender. One of the positives of this eat local challenge is that it gives me a good excuse to eat some of the preserved garden food that we usually hoard and ration! (Ben has chosen to raid our sauerkraut supply for his bedtime snack. The challenge also leads to some rather creative menu options.)

For breakfast this morning we had sourdough bread toast and fried eggs from our hens, as well as some local apple cider. Lunch was leftovers from last night's supper, as usual.

Ben was at class this evening, so I made supper just for myself: some of the larger pieces of wheat that I had sifted out our our bag of flour, cooked with milk and a bit of honey. It was pretty good--if I make it again I'll try toasting the wheat first.

It's been interesting to me how many different things one can cook out of varying amounts of flour, butter, water/milk, and a bit of salt and/or honey. Thus far we've had sourdough bread, chapatis, dumplings (though I guess those included eggs), wheat crackers, grape nuts, soufflé crust, and the cooked cereal I had tonight. I'm planning to make crepes over the weekend as well.

My evening baking tonight was more chapatis and two quiches. We'll eat some of the quiche for lunch tomorrow, and the other later in the weekend. We will be traveling tomorrow over supper, and I don't yet know what we'll eat. The chapatis will likely be part of it; they'll be easy to eat in the car. I'm hoping inspiration will strike before tomorrow afternoon.

Here's my invented quiche recipe. I'm hoping it will be good despite the lack of cheese.

Crusts (enough for 2):
2/3 cup butter
2 cups whole wheat flour
water

Cut butter into flour. Add water, a few drops at a time, while stirring, until crust begins to clump together. Press into two pie pans.

Filling:
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups chopped green onions
4 cups chopped spinach
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt

Saute onions in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Divide between crusts in pie pans. Beat eggs, milk and salt together (I used a blender). Pour half into each pie pan over spinach. Bake in preheated oven at 425° for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake 30 minutes more or until center is set.

No comments: