Saturday, April 28, 2007

Friday's food

Yesterday brought a new test to our Eat Local week: food while traveling.

We began the day with french toast: sourdough bread, eggs, milk, butter, maple syrup, and honey. Lunch was the quiche from last night (quite tasty) and canned sauerkraut from last fall. I don't know what we would do without our hens. I've eaten more eggs this week in various forms than ever before.

After work today Ben and I drove to Richmond, VA to visit my sister and brother-in-law. Time was tight and I hadn't planned what we would eat for supper on the way there. I brought the chapatis and some pumpkin bread, which we ate in the car, and a cooler of other food for breakfast today. (My sister was interested in the Eat Local week, but had her senior dance concert this weekend and understandably didn't have a lot of time for cooking, so we offered to provide breakfast today.)

The chapatis and pumpkin bread didn't seem like quite a sufficient supper, and we debated making an exception and stopping somewhere. We ended up going out for (non-local) ice cream after the dance concert. It was very good (thanks Jay!), but as I was eating I thought about what foods I have been missing the most this week. Peanut butter is high on the list, as are rice and beans. (I could buy Virginia peanuts and make my own, but I refuse to pay $12.99 for the 32 oz box of peanuts in the shell--the only local ones I could find.)

I'm going to go see if we can start breakfast. My sister tells me she has frozen cherries from their cherry tree that we can put on our crepes!

No comments: