Saturday, April 28, 2007

Trading local

Well, brunch this morning in Richmond was delicious: Fair Trade coffee with local milk, crepes with (last year's) cherries from my sister's tree (best cherries ever!), maple syrup and honey, and quiche which we had brought from Harrisonburg.

Before we left, my sister and I did a little trading of local foods. She gave me a pound or so of tofu from Twin Oaks, a community near Charlottesville (their soybeans are Virginia grown too), and a container of her frozen cherries(!). I gave her 5 eggs from our hens and the leftover quiche. I have a scheme to try some kind of tofu-barbeque sandwiches for lunch tomorrow, if our sourdough sponge will cooperate. Ben has been carefully nurturing it, but it's very slow rising.

On the way home from Richmond we stopped at the grocery store and bought more local apples. Back at home we did our first major picking of greens from our garden--spinach, arugula, lettuce, as well as some radishes--and made a big salad for late lunch/early supper. Ben made a dressing from tomato juice, cider, onion, and a bit of Virginia wine we purchased earlier in the week.

Having no bread thwarted some of my other food ideas, so we snacked this evening--I ate the rest of the homemade cheese and crackers, Ben scrambled an egg with a bit of the tofu, and we both had some pumpkin bread. I also made some apple crisp for breakfast tomorrow, using wheat flour instead of oats. Hope it'll be good.

No comments: