Monday, June 23, 2008

Local-ish chocolate cake

This morning we had our oft-eaten breakfast of toast (local), eggs (100 foot), and tea (fair trade). Afterward I harvested our crop of garlic, planted last fall. We got some nice big heads as well as some small ones, probably 20-30. It's curing on our back deck.

Yesterday I cooked a chicken from a friend who butchered last summer. We rarely have chicken in the house (or any other meat) so I have been planning all my meals that involve chicken. For supper this evening I made a sesame chicken couscous salad (though I used quinoa instead of couscous) from the Simply in Season cookbook.
100 foot: Broccoli, snap peas, green onion
Local: Chicken, chicken broth
Non: Quinoa, soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, sesame oil, almonds

For dessert and breakfast tomorrow I made muffins and chocolate cake.
For the muffins:
100 foot: Black raspberries, eggs
Local: Butter, honey, flour
Non: Baking powder, salt

For the cake (of which Ben has just very kindly brought me a piece):
100 foot: Grated cucumber (frozen from last year)
Local: Butter, honey, flour, milk
Non: Cocoa powder (fair trade), salt, baking soda, vinegar, sunflower seeds, vanilla

The cake is a different recipe than what I usually use, and not as sweet. I think using local ingredients transforms chocolate cake into a healthy food, right? Perhaps I should have another piece.

No comments: