Saturday, June 21, 2008

Two meals from beets

I've missed a few days of writing, partially due to a suddenly leaking well pump tank, necessatating late-night trips to big-box hardware stores and a take-out meal due to no water. Since that has been resolved meal highlights have included a nearly all-local leaf soup and local popcorn, butter, and honey, along with non-local cinnamon.

For breakfast this morning we had a family favorite: flat pancakes (also known as crepes).
100 foot: Eggs
Local: Wheat, buttermilk, strawberries in jam, milk, ghee
Non: Sugar in jam, salt, coffee

Lunch was late, but very tasty: Roasted vegetables from the garden, bean salad, and just-baked bread.
100 foot: New potatoes, beets, turnips, onions, lemon thyme, parley, green beans (canned)
Local: Garlic, onions, bread, corn (frozen), honey
Non: Olive oil, white beans, garbanzo beans, vinegar, salt, pepper

For supper we weren't very hungry, so I cooked some of the beet greens left over from lunch. Ben is eating popcorn and I'm eating granola for a snack.

A lot of the "groceries" I buy these days are not really food items: toothpaste, cat food, bird seed, etc. I've been thinking about ways to reduce those as well. A few days ago as I was thinking about sweeteners, I was thinking that I would only buy white sugar for the hummingbirds. Then I thought about planting a bird garden next year rather than putting up bird feeders. I could plant sweet peas, monarda, nasturtiums, and sweet william for the hummingbirds, and sunflowers, thistles, and grasses for the other birds.

We have lots of rabbits in our yard right now, but I have no intention of making my own cat food any time soon. If only I could convince Krikkit to live on pine voles. . .

No comments: